Wednesday, 12 November 2014

Istvaan III Table: Roads Battle Damaged

Keepy here,

Time to update my plain looking road tiles! The road tiles as they stand are constructed from cork board, bathroom tiles and plasticard components, some with a little damage. Today I am going to show you the finished build on these before they go to paint. They look pretty good at the moment but with a bit of battle damage, these things should come up a treat.

First up, I ordered some plastic sewer covers and storm drains to add to my table. These are really effective in making the roads look a bit more realistic, and every little bit of detail will add up to make a good looking final product. I drilled 25mm holes directly into the cork for the man hole covers and had plenty of space to fit the part. The man hole covers come with a sleeve so you can glue that in place and leave the cover separate so it can pop out for more details late, like something coming out of the sewer etc. A couple dabs of superglue to hold it in place and job done.

I ended up putting in six man hole covers in the twenty odd tiles.

Now it is time for the battle damage. Each tile was attacked with pliers to rip out chunks of cork, mainly corresponding with the existing damage done to the sidewalks made of tiles. After this had been done to all twenty road sections, my very own "Istvaan blend" of rubble goodness was added. This was made out of builder's sand (fine), small slate, river sand (coarse), 1/35 bricks and chunks of cork ripped out from the roads themselves.

Components for the "Istvaan Blend" rubble are from the left: River sand, Builder's sand, 1/35 bricks, Cork chunks and fine slate.

This is the final aggregate mixed up in a separate container:

It was then a simple step by step process of each tile being done. I used a spare 300mm tile and turned it upside down to act as a container to catch any rubble that had come off from the roads.

Wood glue was placed in streaks moving away from damaged areas of the tile:

Rubble mix was then shaken over the top in even amounts and left to sit for one or two minutes. This helped the mix bond a little bit to the tile before shaking off the excess:

Excess is shaken off into the container underneath, leaving a finished tile to put aside for drying:

And all the excess rubble...

... Is poured back into it's container ready for the next tile.

So this process went on for the next hour or two. I highly recommend waiting a minute or so letting the rubble sit in the glue, it made a big difference to how much rubble came off on the initial clearing of excess material. Here are some of the results:

I also went back to all the tiles and added the checker plate tops to the drains:

I am really happy with how these came out, and am really looking forward to getting some paint on them. A lot of work has been involved in this build but it is really shaping up to be a great looking board.

If you have any questions or suggestions, you are of course always welcome to comment!




Istvaan III Table: Concept and Design
Istvaan III Table: Battleframe 5000 Tile Construction
Istvaan III Table: Battleframe 5000 Tile Construction Complete!
Istvaan III Table: Road Sections
Istvaan III Table: Bell Tower
Istvaan III Table: Proxy Fit 1
Istvaan III Table: Governor's Residence
Istvaan III Table: Proxy Fit 2
Istvaan III Table: Habitation Block + Back2Base-ix Promo!
Istvaan III Table: Crater Tiles
Istvaan III Table: Building and RampTiles
Istvaan III Table: Battle Damaged Roads
Istvaan III Table: Table Update
Istvaan III Table: Comms Tower

No comments:

Post a Comment