Monday 17 August 2015

A Galaxy In Flames Tutorial: Making a wet palette in 5 minutes.


My old wet palette. I constructed it when I was working on Horus in order to get my wet blending done. So, as I peel yet another old dry piece of paint soaked paper off, I thought I'd talk about making these things.

Wet palettes are used so that paint doesn't go off on the palette, it's an excellent way to blend paints whilst you're working on a miniature, rather than chasing your tail trying to blend new colours constantly.


I used a few of the old blister pack foams, and I placed them into an old Citadel Basing container. Nothing crazy here, just make the foam pretty much form fit the case. The foam looks bad, but it's just stained. By washing the palette after use you can stop the paint sinking into the foam and hardening it.


Next, I cut some paper towel. Just a single piece of paper, cut to size and tested.



After that, simply pour some water in, making sure it isn't soaked to the bone. Pour any excess water out.



Simple as simple gets. When you go to use it, simply adjust the wetness to suit your style.

~Macca

5 comments:

  1. I think you'd do better using grease proof paper dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure could, I just use what's on hand mostly, as it's a very basic setup.

      Delete
  2. this isn't a wet pallette, it's just wet paper towel, the sponge is redundant. Save yourself some time and just fold up the towel if you aren't going to bother with baking parchment/greaseproof paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sponges keep the palette moist for longer, that's all it comes down to. Like I said to Mjolnir, it's only meant to be a very basic one, something for people to try without spending much money. By all means, it's important to stress that it will be far better if you use some grease proof paper, and it is good that you both bring it up, as it's a valid point.

      Delete
  3. Use parchment paper, the Idea being to keep the paint moist without letting it touch the water. I would also use a anti-bacterial sponge. In North America at Costco you get a roll that will last till the end of time for less than ten dollars. Its a positive if you have a wife that bakes, cause you can make nice treats with it.

    ReplyDelete