Sunday 2 March 2014

A Galaxy In Flames Tutorial: Multiple Damage Techniques On Red and Blue Surfaces

G'day all, it's Macca with quite a long post here.

Recently I have done a couple of tutorials on weathering, and I thought I would demonstrate a few of these principles on a pair of differently coloured surfaces.

So, I have picked red and blue, as these two and their respective shades are some of the most common colours, being seen on Ultramarines, Blood Angels, Thousand Sons, (pre and post heresy~), World Eaters/War Hounds, Word Bearers etc.

This post is aimed at showing those new to weathering and damage how to get the good results, without being a 'pro painter' or a wizard artist, so please, give it a go!

The tank hull panel used is nothing fancy, just a chaos black undercoat, and I have hand painted on red and blue. It took 3 coats, with the key being to water the coats down to prevent streaks in the finished work (the more coats, the less streaks, but you need to stay thin, or else you will lose your detail~ Macca). So, here is what we have got to start with:

First, I have used a medium grey and a black to lay a streak down. No need to be too fine with this. I normally wouldn't use both colours, instead I would choose one or the other, these are here to help show the techniques.
Next, I have used a really light grey to help add a 3D effect. I have used light grey as the white contrasts far too much.
I have used a medium silver, Games Workshop's old chainmail, (does anyone else find that their old paints were just... better?) the chainmail was layered onto the black to show the silver of the metal beneath coming through. Personally, I am not a fan of metallics for battle damage, but, this is a tutorial and I like to cover all bases.
Now I have added a dark grey line to the grey patches to further accentuate the 3D effect.
 Ok, so what next? We sponge it!

WARNING! MACCA'S RANT: I can't stand one thing with weathering, and that's when people just sponge on a colour, usually black or white because it contrasts. The next thing that follows is them posting a pic on a forum or blog with the post: 'yep, pretty much, you could say I nailed it.'

No, you didn't. You have started a process and stopped part of the way, and it's hurting your efforts. This frustrates me because I know you can do better! This is what it looks like:
It's boring! it has no dimension, it's just a different colour. So instead, what we do is apply a grey in small patches wherever we have a large black patch, and mostly at the edge of panels.
 Now, isn't that better? The extra 5 minutes really will bring the hull out, and help add the realisim, the 3D effect.

Ok, enough of that, onto the blue hull. Here I have used same technique to place a few battle damage streaks. I think I have contrasted too much, but that's me learning the lesson for you.
 Now, again, we have the black sponging. Once more, it is boring and isn't contributing much the the model.....
 ......BUT..... with a little of the grey, we have managed to bring out the damage and give it a really good effect.
 So, that's the damage. Now I would like to take the chance to use a little weathering powder.

I am going to use two brands of powder here, Tamiya, and Secret Weapon. They are different and achieve different results, that is why I plan on the two of them.
Ok, so first, I am applying 'Oil Stain' by Tamiya. The powder is much like womens make-up. It even comes with a applicator that looks just like one. The dark colour is sponged on with the applicator over the vents to bring out the smokey nature of them.

WARNING!: Dont's use your girlfriends make up, she will likely make life very hard for you for a while after doing this~ Macca.
 Next, I have used 'Ivory' by Tamiya, and this is to add a layer of dust around edges that would naturally collect it. The key here is to go on thick.
 Next, I have used a soft sponge, and I have removed most of the powder, this leaves us with a soft 'airbrush-like' dusting effect.
 At this point, I pull out the Secret Weapon 'Dark Earth'. (as shown)
 I gently apply this in a more patchy manner over the lower portion of the hull.
 Finally, I gently sealed the hull with some spray varnish. Don't go too hard here, as the varnish will wash away the pigments and you will lose all your weathering.
 Finished Red Hull:
 Finished Blue Hull:


Well, it was a long one, and I am very glad you stuck with it. Thanks for your time, and I hope you got something out of it. If you have any questions, or would like to know more, please comment below, lots of man love, Macca.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like....well you know...lots of love whitey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, always love to feel appreciated...

      Delete
  2. Nice Tutes Macca. I'll give it a go if I ever get around to my vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great tutorial and highlights many things for upcoming painters such as myself to improve on. Although you have done blue and red I was wondering if there was any chance you could give some pointers or guidance on doing black, given that there is now more Black armies coming in to play. I play Black Templars and find it hard to add dimension and damage to the tank without it looking bland and 2D.
    Thanks TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Tim! Macca is in the process of doing up a heap of Raven Guard stuff and I am sure he will detail how he went about it in the next few posts. I did a quick blurb on how I do black in my Justaerin WIP / Abbadon WIPs. Glad you find the blog useful and hopefully you become a regular here! ~Keepy

      http://agalaxyinflames.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/ezekyle-abaddon-wip-1.html

      Delete