Tuesday 4 March 2014

Readers Thoughts.. "Betrayer" written by Aaron Dembski-Bowden


POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT


 
Howdy all, Wadey here! So AGIF has been up and running for some time now and we have seen some excellent posts so far from Macca and Keepy. Due to being geographically challenged I have thus far been unable to contribute anything… until now!

 

I have just finished reading Betrayer which was written by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. So figured I’d mix things up a bit and write, not so much a review but more of a readers thought on it. Before I begin I’d like you all to keep in mind the thoughts and views contained within this review are purely my own and are not in any away affiliated or associated with Games Workshop, Forge World or the Black Library.

 

I chose to write my thoughts about this novel as I feel it is an excellent insight into both the XII and XVII Legions and their place amongst the heresy, and the first port of call for anyone who is thinking about playing as either of these two legions.

 

Betrayer is set in the Ultramar system after Isstvan V and the Word Bearers attack on Calth. In Betrayer we see the XII Legion World Eaters and the XVII Legion Word Bearers join forces to eradicate the Ultramarine War World of Armatura then onto Angrons’ home world of Nuceria.

 

Betrayer left me with a new found respect but also feeling of sorrow for the XII Legion World Eaters. Aaron Dembski-Bowden really highlights the true nature of the World Eaters and their admirable and loyal dedication to their gene-sire, the Primarch Angron and how this unwavering loyalty combined with the constant desire for their fathers’ approval would see them down a dark path instead of rising to be one of the greatest of the Emperors legions. This true virtue is seen greatly in Kharn and I personally now have a HUGE respect for him not only as a warrior but also for the man he is.

 

As for the XVII Legion Word Bearers... that’s a different story all together. Aaron Dembski-Bowden has done an excellent job of illustrating the level of control the XVII Legion Primarch Lorgar has over the heresy as a whole and that perhaps the Word Bearers were destined to become servants of the Chaos Gods. Head of the Vakrah-Jal and loyal battle brother to Kharn, Argel-Tal was in my opinion the only son of Lorgar who still showed traits of honour and loyalty within the ranks of the XVII Legion Word Bears even given his new found “possession”. This is shown foremost in his commitment to his battle brother and dearest friend, Kharn.

 

To sum up, Betrayer hooked me right from the very beginning and although the end felt a little rushed where the first third of the book could perhaps have been a little shorter it was still an excellent read. Aaron Dembski-Bowden has done an excellent job of bringing the heart and soul of the Heresy to life and I recommend Betrayer to any fan of the Horus Heresy.

 
Cheers for checking in, I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Blog Wadey! A little short but nice post to begin your posting here mate.

    ReplyDelete